Mount Ramelau & Hato Builico
The village of Hato Builico sits in a valley high in the Tatamelau Range, at an altitude of 2,000m. Days can be very sunny and warm, or swirled in cold damp cloud, with or without rain. Night temperatures range from cool to very cold.
From there, make your ascent to the summit of Mt. Ramelau, at 2,963m, the highest point in East Timor.
We also have a shorter 4-day Mt. Ramelau Summit which works well with Saturday to Tuesday flights.
5-day itineraries work best with TUE/SAT flights.
- TUE MI296 SIN/DIL 09.20/14.15 (check in at 07.00, Row 6, T2)
- SAT MI295 DIL/SIN 15.15/18.00
Upon arrival at Nicolau Lobato International airport, meet/greet by guide and begin 4-hour drive to Maubessi.
Arrive Maubessi early evening at about 07.00pm.
Overnight in Poussada Maubisse.
After breakfast drive through Maubisse town before heading to Hato Builico.
Arrive at the Church and start walking towards Pousada Ramelau to arrive 2 hours later.
Check in at Alecrim guesthouse for lunch.
Drive to Mulo Village and continue with an easy 2-hour trek to see traditional houses of Nunurlau and Aimeta.
Return to guesthouse for dinner.
Overnight Pousada Alecrimwe.
Rise early to trek to the summit in time to see the spectacular sunrise. A statue of Virgin Mary, measuring 3m high, was erected here by the Catholic Church during the years of Indonesian occupation.
A packed breakfast is provided.
Descend to guesthouse for rest and lunch.
In the afternoon we make an excursion to visit the Doko Mali waterfall at Lepolau.
Overnight Pousada Alecrimwe.
After breakfast head back to Dili arriving at 01.00pm.
After lunch, go on a city tour of Dili.
The morning is free up to our transfer to the airport for our homebound flight to Singapore.
- It is most important to be flexible, stay positive and willing to accept all challenges that arise. In developing countries, particularly in remote areas, the service standards are not to be compared to the standards you are used to back home. The climb up to Ramelau is quite difficult, with the slippery rocks and landslide areas.
- The accommodation at Hato Builico is a very simple guest house, with electricity being available from 07.00pm to 12.00mn; please expect simple dishes to be served at dinner at the guesthouse.
- Proper trekking shoes
- Fibre pile type jacket, long trousers
- Thick resilient socks
- Torch light, sunglasses, headgear
- Sleeping bag
- Personal medicines
- Personal food supplements
- Toilet paper
- Wet wipes
- Water bottle
Mount Ramelau at 2,963m, is the highest mountain in Timor Leste, and offers views of the north and south coast on a bright clear day. On a typical day its peak floats above the clouds providing the most spectacular sunset and sunrises for trekkers while the overnight temperature drops to freezing cold all year round. Trekking to the summit takes about 3 hours from the highland village of Hato Builiko.
Nunurlau & Aimeta - start the trek from Mulo Village taking approximately 2 hours through a quiet forest of hanging moss. On emerging into an open pasture a final steep ascent brings you to the traditional houses of Nunurlau and Aimeta.
Doko Mali Waterfall - The trail ascends through coffee plantations then traverses lovely fields and gardens, crossing a creek at a small waterfall, and continuing around a spur to the dramatic gorge of the spectacular 30m waterfall.
Note that the currents are reportedly very strong in the plunge pool at all times of the year, and swimming is not advised (there are plenty of other pools to swim in). Surrounding rocks are very slippery when wet.
|Price per person in SGD dollars||ADULT|
5D4N Mount Ramelau & The Environs of Hato Builiko
|Valid from Feb 15 - Dec 31, 2016|
|Hotel in Dili||Single||Twin|
|Novo Turismo / Palm Beach Hotel||2519||1848|
|Hotel Timor Plaza||2533||1855|
|Tour prices above include all airport taxes, fuel surcharge and security taxes. Tour prices may be adjusted should there be any change in the airport and other taxes.|
- Return airfare from Singapore to Dili on Air Timor (Silkair charter): SIN/DIL/SIN
- Ex-Singapore airport taxes & fuel surcharge; subject to change by airline
- All transfers & transportation while on tour
- 01 night in choice of hotel in Dili with daily breakfast
- 03 nights at guest-houses at Maubessi and Hato Buliko
- 03 breakfasts, 02 lunches and 02 dinners
- Dili half-day city tour
- Services of experienced local English or Portuguese & Tetum-speaking tour guide
- Timor Leste Visa on Arrival @ USD $30 per person
- Dili airport departure tax @ USD $10 per person
- All meals other than those indicated in itinerary
- Personal expenditure like phone calls, soft/hard drinks and beverages, tipping for guide & driver, etc.
- Tips and gratuities for guide & driver, and other service providers.
- Travel insurance