The Heart of Burma
Try on a new kind of adventure and immerse yourself in the warm and mysterious culture of Myanmar (Burma). Cruise the mighty Irrawaddy River to the ancient city of Bagan, home to over 2200 beautiful temples and pagodas. Explore the floating villages on serene Inle Lake. Visit Kyan Sithar Umin monastery to meet a Buddhist monk and climb Mandalay Hill to reflect on serene views of the surrounding countryside. Come to a special place and create some new favourite memories.
Arrive at any time today. An arrival transfer is included.
Fly to Mandalay and explore this ancient city, including the Golden Palace Monastery, Kuyuk Taw Gyi Pagoda, Kuthodaw Pagoda, and Mahamuni Temple. Climb Mandalay Hill for magnificent views of the surrounding countryside.
Take a boat to the village of Mingun to visit the pagodas and local craftspeople. Visit the spiritual centre of Burma at Sagaing and the ancient royal capital of Amarapura.
Go on an excursion to Pyin Oo Lwin, a former British hill station.
Relax and watch the sights on a full day cruise down the Irrawaddy River to ancient Bagan.
Explore the ancient sites of Bagan including the temples of Shwezigon Pagoda, Gubyaukgyi (Wetkyi-in) cave temple, and Manuha and Nan Paya temples, to name a few. Receive a blessing at a local monastery and continue to a handicraft workshop and visit the Nyaung Oo local market.
Visit a local village and toddy farm for demonstrations and lunch.
Travel by plane, bus, and boat to serene Inle Lake. En route, visit Shwe Yan Pyay Monastery, Nyaung Shwe by cycle rickshaw, and observe floating villages and gardens.
Explore the lake by boat and visit the floating villages, a cheroot factory and the daily market. Visit Phaung Daw Oo pagoda and Inthien temple complex.
Travel by boat and bus to the cooler air of this former British hill station. Opt for an afternoon trek.
Fly back to Yangon and visit the Shwedagon Pagoda. Enjoy free time to explore and shop in the old capital.
Depart any time today.
Is this tour for me?
TRAVEL STYLE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS
Greater exploration, insider access, and the freedom to roam – all without sacrificing comfort.
SERVICE LEVEL UPGRADED
Quality accommodations and more inclusions than on other G Adventures tours such as private transport (including internal flights on some tours) and more included meals and activities.
PHYSICAL RATING LIGHT
Light walking and hiking suitable for most fitness levels. Nothing too challenging.
TRIP TYPE SMALL GROUP
Small group experience; Max 16, Average 10.
AGE REQUIREMENT 12+
All travellers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Price person in USD dollars
- USD $3,199 ~ Adult Twin
Available Extras (Add these to your tour when you book)
Balloons Over Bagan (Oct - Mar)
- Wake up early and enjoy light refreshments before your launch.
- Take to the air with a skilled pilot and experience the early morning beauty of Bagan.
- Drift over villages, temples, and serene landscapes as the sun rises in the sky.
- After landing, toast the unforgettable journey with a glass of champagne.
- Please note that passengers must weigh less than 125kg (280 lb) to participate.
My Own Room - $1499
- If you're travelling solo and would prefer to have your own private room throughout your trip, select this option during the booking process.
- Arrival transfer
- Tour of Mandalay
- Boat trip and tour of Mingun village
- Burmese cabaret performance
- Visit Sagaing and the ancient city of Amarapura
- Visit Kyan Sithar Umin monastery and talk with a monk
- Irrawaddy River boat trip
- Guided tour of Bagan archaeological zone
- Visit Shwe Yan Pyay Monastery
- Tour Nyaung Shwe by trishaw
- Boat tour of Inle Lake including floating villages and markets
- Visit a cheroot factory
- Visit Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda and the Nge Phe Chaung Monastery
- Tour Shwedagon Pagoda
- Interesting articles, helpful tips, and photography advice from National Geographic before you depart
- Internal flights
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Meals 11 breakfasts, 1 lunch; allow USD $210-275 for meals not included.
- Transportation Private bus/van, plane, boat, walking.
- Staff & experts Chief Experience Officer (CEO) throughout, local guides.
- Accommodation Hotels (11 nights).
- Mon, 13 Mar - Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 $3399
Mon, 17 Apr - Fri, 28 Apr $3199
Mon, 16 Oct - Fri, 27 Oct $3199
Mon, 20 Nov - Fri, 01 Dec $3399
Mon, 18 Dec - Fri, 29 Dec, 2017 $3399
Mon, 25 Dec, 2017 - Fri, 05 Jan, 2018 $3399
Mon, 01 Jan - Fri, 12 Jan, 2018 $3399
Mon, 08 Jan - Fri, 19 Jan $3399
Fri, 19 Jan - Tue, 30 Jan $3399
Mon, 12 Feb - Fri, 23 Feb, 2017 $3399
Sun, 18 Feb - Thu, 01 Mar $3399
Mon, 12 Mar - Fri, 23 Mar $3399
Mon, 16 Apr - Fri, 27 Apr $3199
Mon, 15 Oct - Fri, 26 Oct $3199
Mon, 05 Nov - Fri, 16 Nov $3399
Mon, 19 Nov - Fri, 30 Nov $3399
Mon, 17 Dec - Fri, 28 Dec, 2018 $3399
Mon, 24 Dec, 2018 - Fri, 04 Jan, 2019 $3399